Saturday 18 October 2008

Jake the sheepdog

Last week I had the opportunity to "test" Jake on some more sheep than just 5 and in a huge field not a small paddock.
He worked very well in a small paddock and though Sarah said that she thinks he could move a bigger flock of sheep easily, I wasn't so sure.
Anyway, Jake didn't go to fetch the sheep, but once we reached the flock, he was amazing. He drove them behind me, so that I could walk leisurely in front of him. He did a cracking job. Though having no directionals as such ( comebye and away) he instinctively knew what to do.
I could send him to do anything, but he would be very happy to move a flock with sheep with me and keep them together.

I was in awe... He was amazing and really seemed to enjoy himself. He was lying down behind the sheep when asked and stopped when I told him to. Well done Jakey!

Luke was a bit more pushing and it took him about 10 minutes to settle down. In those 10 minutes he just ran circles around the sheep without doing anything else and without harming them.
Then he started driving them towards me. And though he was a bit fast, he was really good. Not as good as Jake though ;)

All in all a lovely experience seeing them enjoying themselves so much. I was overwhelmed to watch them.

No comments: